Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc3-O4

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 04:24:50 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> another idea: you are running this on a C3, using CONFIG_MCYRIXIII,
> correct? That is one of the rare configs that triggers X86_USE_3DNOW
> and MMX ops. If 3dnow is in any way handicapped in that CPU then that
> could cause trouble. Could you compile for e.g. CONFIG_M586TSC? [that
> option should be fully compatible with a C3.] - this will exclude the
> MMX page clearing ops.

another (more remote) possibility is that the timestamp counter gets
somehow messed up during MMX ops. Does the ALSA detector use the
timestamp counter, or does it only use jiffies? (if it only used jiffies
that would give us some robustness since it's an independent
time-source.) I suspect 'music indeed skips' isnt a good enough test for
this case, given that jackd starts up ...

Ingo