Re: 2.6 kernel won't reboot on AMD system - 8042 problem?

From: Sascha Wilde
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 04:38:59 EST

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:28:45AM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:

> The shutdown sequence is not hanging, though, as far as I can tell.

Yes, I think I pointed out before, that not any code of the kernel,
but the hardware itself hangs during the reboot.

> You can triple fault the machine immediately after the first WCTR
> command during initialization (triple fault reboots it just fine
> just before the same command) and it doesn't cause a reboot, and yet
> it's no longer executing instructions from the kernel (or at least
> not printk's or anything meaningful). I don't think it's the
> parameters that it's passing to the WCTR command either, because if
> you look in the previous batch of printk's, it's putting back in
> exactly what it got out.

Right, in fact the problem occures from the first writing to the i8042
register. When you comment out all of the lines sending a
"I8042_CMD_CTL_WCTR" from i8042.c the resulting kernel will reboot
under al conditions (at least it does here) -- but unfortunatly that
renders the local Keyboard unusable...

Putting only one of them back in, (for example the one in
i8042_activate_port(), which brings the keyboard back to life) the
reboot hangs again.

Big question: how was the initialisation of the PS/2 ports managed in
2.4.x? Ther seems to be no similar code to i8042.c in it[0], and all I
have found till now is a bunch ob obscure jump-rables in
arch/i386/kernel/setup.c ...

cheers
sascha

[0] In fact, the only code mentioning the i8042 in 2.4 is related to
HP HIL devices...
--
Sascha Wilde : "Lies, was ich meine, nicht, was ich schreibe."
: (Urs Traenkner in de.alt.admin)