Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 10:51:44 EST

>From: Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx>

>Don't be naive. How do you discuss changes with him? The one patch I did
>create against the SUSE cdrecord for the one shipped with SL9.1 adds a
>note to use ATA over ATAPI since that is preferred, and it kills the
>silly open-by-devname warnings that are extremely confusing to users. I
>did send that back to Joerg, to no avail.

You never send such mail.... but you told me that that you liked me to
_remove_ warnings.
Note that I also output warnings on Solaris if users use suboptimal interfaces.

>> While they (and any other distro's people and anybody else) may
>> actually hack the code to no end, I consider it being good habit to

>By far the largest modification is dvd support, which we of course need
>to ship. The rest is really minor stuff.

This "dvd support" has beed proved to be defective and it has also been proved
that it breaks CD support.

You don't like to see cdrecord to become worse do you?

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
js@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1