Re: Network routing issue

From: Paul Jakma
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 14:01:32 EST

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Luesley, William wrote:

In order to help testing, I have been asked to place a third machine between
these two which will be capable of intercepting and modifying any messages.

My initial plan was to have a device which could mimic both ends of the
connection (as I already have code to do this); with each connection being
on a separate NIC, leading to a setup as shown below:

A ------------ C C ---------- B
192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2
(eth0) (eth1)

Can I use IP Tables, how?

Or, am I on totally the wrong track?

You're on the wrong track. C doesnt even need IP addresses, two choices:

- C as bridge and use ebtables (C doesnt even need addresses theoretically)

- C as router, use iptables. C needs one or more addresses which must be different.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@xxxxxxxx paul@xxxxxxxxx Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: