Re: [RFC] Fix Device Power Management States

From: Todd Poynor
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 20:48:32 EST

Divorcing device power states from ACPI-defined integers would be very nice for embedded platforms. Usually the platform bus would be involved. Since the proposal tends to place more responsibility on the bus driver, I'm interested in the intended usage for platform devices. For example, are platform_device callbacks for suspend/resume/save/restore of the particular device still needed? How does the platform bus driver map (platform-specific?) system states to device states?

Customizing the available system power states based on the platform is even more desirable. But the generic sys_pm_* ids might still be the best way to hook up the platform-specific code to the generic PM layer (and the system-state-to-device-state mapping would still be based on the generic ids). The device suspend/resume decisions we've had to make in response to system states have usually been related to properties of the system state that could be represented in platform-independent fashion, for example, whether the suspend state involves power cycling the particular device.

I may be misunderstanding the intent or delving too far into details, but I'd be happy to help with embedded platform stuff if there's interest, thanks,

--
Todd Poynor
MontaVista Software