Re: 2.6 kernel won't reboot on AMD system - 8042 problem?

From: David Ford
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 08:54:51 EST

Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Could you please try the patch below? I am interested in tests both with
and without keyboard/mouse. The main idea is to leave ports that have been
disabled by BIOS alone... The patch compiles but otherwise untested. Against
2.6.7.

Well, this has a problem - plugging a mouse later will never work, as
the interface will be disabled by the BIOS if a mouse is not present at
boot.

Hmm, this may be the design of the system, but from experience I can say that I've only had one computer that wouldn't later use a mouse or keyboard if it wasn't plugged in at boot. All my systems for the last three years will happily boot with nothing plugged in and use a mouse and keyboard whenever you want to plug them in. That one system that needed the mouse/keyboard plugged in at boot was Winblows. It would work fine in Linux.

David

begin:vcard
fn:David Ford
n:Ford;David