Re: ipw2100 wireless driver

From: John Stoffel
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 13:57:11 EST

Tomas> On Aug-11 2004, Wed, 17:51 +0100
Tomas> Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 06:33:33PM +0200, Tomas Szepe wrote:
>> > There are many people who don't want to mess around with hotplug just
>> > to get a single driver to load.
>>
>> Then use a distribution that gets it right for you. Having gazillions
>> of diffferent firmware loaders just because people are too lazy to set
>> up the canonical one isn't where we want to go.

Tomas> Agreed. But the point is, in the actual case of ipw2100, will
Tomas> the removal of 40 or so lines of code justify killing the
Tomas> functionality for those (lots) that use it? I don't think so.

You can't have your cake and eat it too Tomas! You agree that having
multiple firmware loaders in the kernel is bad, yet you still want to
have your own special one in there? What's so difficult about setting
up hotplug for this purpose anyway?

John