Re: SG_IO and security

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 11:56:29 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

Hmm.. This still allows the old "junk" commands (SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND).

Btw, I think the _right_ thing to check is the write access of the file descriptor. If you have write access to a block device, you can delete the data, so you might as well be able to do the raw commands. And that would allow things like "disk" groups etc to work and burn CD's.

Define raw commands. I certainly don't want non-root users to be able to issue FORMAT UNIT on my hard drive.

Jeff