Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 17:35:24 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:

It was a hard lockup and randomly happened during a cd write, creating my first coaster in a long time... in rt mode ironically which is how it is recommended to be run. So I removed the foolish superuser bit and have had no problem since. Yes it was unaltered cdrecord source and it was the so-called alpha branch and... Not much else I can say about it really?

I said I'd never seen this (true), but it could happen if you were burning an audio CD using the ide-scsi or ATA: interface. In 2.6 the ATAPI: interface uses DMA. I don't know what the program does if you just say dev=/dev/hdx, I don't normally use it that way (I got into the habit of using ATAPI:). Given a fast burner and the interface using PIO, I guess you could slow the system down some!

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)