Re: [patch] 2.6 -- add IOI Media Bay to SCSI quirk list

From: John W. Linville
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 18:04:59 EST

Patrick Mansfield wrote:

We seem to be getting quite a few of these. In theory we could add a line
like this for every multi-lun SCSI device.

Isn't that what the quirk list is for?

Can you instead try booting with scsi_mod.max_luns=8 (or such) or build
with SCSI_MULTI_LUN enabled?

That works for my box, but what about for others? Like those who may have both a multi-lun device and a single-lun device that hangs on a non-zero lun? What about the average luser who can't be bothered to hack-up his startup scripts or *gasp* rebuild his kernel?

It seems like the quirk list is there for a reason. If we start rejecting certain devices, then what is the criteria for a device to actually make it on the list?

John