Latency profiling.

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 11:17:11 EST

I have been looking, but I cannot find out if anyone has already done what I want.

I have a problem that my desktop linux system becomes un-responsive when there is a lot of Hard Disc access. I.E. During HD access, the mouse fails to move.

I suspect that this is due to a certain kernel process holding onto the CPU resources too long without letting the kernel schedule a different process.

I therefore need a kernel profiler that will log every kernel schedule/context switch, and if the interval between any switch is greater than X, it will write a log entry, telling me which process/function/module was holding onto the CPU for too long.

I could then use this tool to help me track down exactly where the problem is, and therefore hopefully find a fix for it.

Does a tool like this already exist?

James