Re: [solved] binfmt_misc trouble with kernel 2.6.7

From: Anand Buddhdev
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 17:35:29 EST

Anand Buddhdev wrote:

Hi,

A few days ago I upgraded to fedora kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2. Before that, I had kernels in which binfmt_misc was compiled as a module. The wine init script modprobe'd the module and then registered /usr/bin/wine as a handler for windows executables. However, in the new 2.6.7 kernel, binfmt_misc is compiled into the kernel, so the modprobe in the wine init script fails. I can fix that, but main problem I am having is that now, the permissions on the /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc directory are 0555:

dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Aug 13 19:04 /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

I cannot create a file called register under /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc.

I created a Fedora bugzilla entry for this but I was told that this is a problem in the kernel upstream. Is this indeed a known problem, and is there a fix?

Geoffrey Leach from the Fedora list provided a hint to the solution. There's no bug. I just have to add:

none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc defaults 0 0

to my /etc/fstab, and then the /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc directory becomes writable, with a register and a status file in it. Sorry to have bothered you all.