Re: legacy VGA device requirements (was: Exposing ROM's though sysfs)

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 11:38:48 EST

What is the API that a user space apps will use to control the state of
VGA devices?

For example:
1) a standard device exposing IOCTLs needing an header file describing
it.
or 2) Building a new tree in /sys/class/vga that uses attributes to
control the state. you turn the device on by copying a '1' to the
attribute.

Once we pick sysfs or ioctl API, what should the full set of calls look
like?

--- Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sad, 2004-08-14 at 00:56, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > I know internally how to find the VGA cards using the PCI class. I
> > meant this in the context of how do you enumerate all of the VGA
> > devices in a domain from a user space app. What is the API for
> this?
> > What is the user space API for turning off all of the VGA devices
> in a
> > domain?
>
> I don't follow the logic behind the question. Once you have the vga
> locking device then that needs to handle the vga on/off.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx