Re: [patch] Latency Tracer, voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc4-O6

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 19:22:31 EST

Keith Owens wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 05:50:50 +0100, Paulo Marques <pmarques@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, I found some time and decided to give it a go :)

This patch regresses some recent changes to kallsyms which handle
aliased symbols, IOW symbols with the same address. The speed up is
very good, but it has two problems with repeated addresses.

Oops, I didn't realize that there could be repeated addresses :(

I did a test running 500000 lookups with the original function and my own and compared the results from both functions looking for any differences. The test program was fed from /proc/kallsyms from my machine. Because there were no aliases there, the result was ok and I felt confident about the algorithm.

Anyway, at first glance your patch looks right, and I don't think there will be any performance implications from it, unless there can be thousands of aliases for the same address :)

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com