Re: Linux v2.6.8 - Oops on NFSv3

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 09:08:25 EST

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 04:05:56AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> > Cane we make this 2.6.9 to avoid breaking all kinds of scripts expecting
> > three-digit kernel versions?
>
> Well, we've been discussing the 2.6.x.y format for a while, so I see this
> as an opportunity to actually do it... Will it break automated scripts?
> Maybe. But on the other hand, we'll never even find out unless we try it
> some time.

This will break glibc's OS version checks. It won't show up as a problem
now, since it's mostly used to ignore versions of libraries which are
too new for the running kernel, and 2.6.8.1 is as new as it gets. But
that code is going to think the version is humongously greater than
2.6.8 and 2.6.9.

See Uli's response:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2003-11/msg00025.html

--