Re: Serious Kernel slowdown with HIMEM (4Gig) in 2.6.7

From: Lawrence E. Freil
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 12:43:05 EST

Problem solved.

I found a reference to a very similar (turns out same) problem with the
2.4 series kernels. The problem is because the mtrr maps do not quite
cover all the memory the system was reporting. Memory that does not
show up in the mtrr must be being mapped as non-cacheable. Is there
a reason the system defaults to this as oppose to cacheable? It obviously
sees the holes? I can work around the problem by adding "mem=1008" instead
of letting it default (or I suppose I could patch the mtrr after boot).

Thanks for all those with suggestions and what to look for.

--
Lawrence Freil Email:lef@xxxxxxxxx
1768 Old Country Place Phone:(770) 667-9274