Re: eth*: transmit timed out since .27

From: Len Brown
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 14:39:59 EST

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 14:44, Oliver Feiler wrote:

> 14: 9296 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 15: 9078 IO-APIC-edge ide1
> 17: 24 IO-APIC-level eth1
> 18: 125085 IO-APIC-level eth0
> 21: 0 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci
> 22: 0 IO-APIC-level via82cxxx
> 23: 2976 IO-APIC-level eth2
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 112313
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 42

This is unusual.
MIS is a hardware workaround and should normally be 0.

> vs.
>
> 00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev
> 06)
> (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
> Subsystem: Unknown device 1849:0571
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 255
> I/O ports at fc00 [size=16]
> Capabilities: <available only to root>
>
> This probably has to do with this boot message:
> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:11.1

> I have found absolutely nothing that explains if this is an error or
> just some sort of debug message one can ignore.

Yes, ignore it.

This is where that message about 255 came from.
When ACPI failed to find a PCI-routing-table entry
for this device, it looked in PCI config space
and found the 255 you see above. The only recent
change is that it dosn't try to use an obviously
bogus value. But in either case, with this device
it is moot as the hardware and the driver are hard-coded.

-Len