Re: menuconfig displays dependencies [Was: select FW_LOADER -> depends HOTPLUG]

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 15:24:00 EST

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 09:07:30PM +0100, Russell King wrote:

> Let me make my position over the use of "select" clear: I do not
> oppose its appropriate use, where that is defined as selecting
> another configuration option for which the user has no visibility.
>
> In the above case, it _may_ make sense (I haven't looked deeply
> into it yet) to:
>
> - make _all_ drivers which need FW_LOADER select it
> - make _all_ drivers which currently depend on HOTPLUG select it
> - make FW_LOADER select HOTPLUG
> - remove user questions for FW_LOADER and HOTPLUG
>
> That means that FW_LOADER and HOTPLUG are automatically selected
> whenever the configuration requires them and are automatically
> deselected when it doesn't need them, and you don't have to worry
> about whether you can disable them now or after finding the
> thousand and one configuration symbols which need to be turned off
> first.
>
> However, keeping the option user-visible _and_ using select is
> problematical to say the least.

Currently, I see no good alternative to e.g. USB_STORAGE selecting SCSI.
Enhanchements to _all_ kernel configuration tools are required before
this can be changed.

But it still leaves the problem that modules not included in the kernel
might require the functionality provided by such an option.
Even CRC32 is user-visible.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.