Re: PATCH: straighten out the IDE layer locking and add hotplug

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 17:33:25 EST

> +/**
> + * ide_hwif_restore - restore hwif to template
> + * @hwif: hwif to update
> + * @tmp_hwif: template
> + *
> + * Restore hwif to a default state by copying most settngs

it restores hwif to previous state not the default one

> +/**
> + * ide_add_generic_settings - generic /proc settings
> + * @drive: drive being configured
> + *
> + * Add the generic parts of the system settings to the /proc files
> + * for this IDE device. The caller must not be holding the settings_sem
> + * .lock
> + */

ide settings are not limited to /proc, remember about ioctls

> +/**
> + * system_bus_clock - clock guess
> + *
> + * External version of the bus clock guess used by old old IDE drivers

old old?

> +/**
> + * ata_attach - attach an ATA/ATAPI device
> + * @drive: drive to attach
> + *
> + * Takes a drive that is as yet not assigned to any midlayer IDE
> + * module and figures out which driver would like to own it. If

drive maybe assinged to midlayer ide-default driver

> + * nobody claims the driver then it is automatically attached

the drive

> +/**
> + * ide_unregister_subdriver - disconnect drive from driver
> + * @drive: drive to unplug
> + *
> + * Disconnect a drive from the driver it was attached to and then
> + * clean up the various proc files and other objects attached to it.
> + * Takes ide_sem, ide_lock, and drive_lock. Caller must hold none of
> + * the locks.
> + *
> + * No locking versus subdriver unload because we are moving to the
> + * default driver anyway. Wants double checking.

yep, locking needs checking (removing hwif vs removing driver)

> +/**
> + * ide_register_driver - new driver loaded
> + * @driver: the IDE driver module

driver doesn't have to be a module

IDE device driver

> +/**
> + * ide_unregister_driver - IDE module unload
> + * @driver: IDE driver module
> + *
> + * Unload a driver module and reattach any devices to whatever

it doesn't unload given IDE device driver