Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8.1-P0

From: Lee Revell
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 17:55:25 EST

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 04:07, Roger Luethi wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:24:24 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Also, isn't there a better solution than for network drivers to actively
> > poll for changes in link status? Can't they just register a callback that
>
> For the Rhine, there is, but making it work requires some extra black
> magic we didn't know until a few months ago. It's fixed in -mm now and
> will probably be in 2.6.9. That doesn't mean the media_check is gone,
> though. It just means it only happens on actual events.

OK, this would certainly be an improvement, I was using the driver from
-mm until 2.6.8.1 anyway due to that damn rhine_power_init bug, with no
problems whatsoever.

What do you think of Ingo's solution of trying to move the problematic
call to mdio_read out of the spinlocked section? It does seem that the
slowness of mdio_read causes the rp->lock spinlock to be held for an
awfully long time. In a live audio setting you would actually get lots
of media events.

Lee