Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: viro
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 18:13:16 EST

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 06:52:50PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Well, I am seing some dups, but they are so volatile that no two runs
> will report the same allocations as dups, and its never more than 2
> using /proc/fs/ext3 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr |grep -v ' 1 '
>
> Consecutive runs will show anywhere from 3 to 10 or 12 dups, but never
> is an address repeated between runs.
>
> How is this to be interpreted?

That's OK. Keep in mind that you have a *lot* of these guys and your
cat(1) makes a lot of read(2) calls. So what you see is

<starting to read>
<see inode #n that is about to be evicted>
<read some more>
<inode #n gets evicted, quite possibly - due to memory pressure from cat(1)
or sort(1)>
<read more>
<somebody wants the same inode again>
<read more>
<see the inode #n we'd just had read from disk again>

So few duplicates are all right.