Re: cpufreq deprecation

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 11:47:51 EST

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:39:12AM -0500, Ray Bryant wrote:
> Pavel,
>
> A scan of the lkml archives on theaimsgroup for cpufreq shows only this
> message about deprecation. Where was this discussed?

Probably cpufreq list around the time cpufreq was first merged to mainline 2.6.

I never wanted to really see the proc stuff hit 2.6 at all, but
someone (maybe Dominik) suggested that as there were tools using it,
(a multitude of cpu scaling daemons appeared), we should drag it into 2.6
too, at least until the daemons caught up with the preferred interface.

It's been marked as 'deprecated' since day one of its inclusion.
All the userspace tools that are actually decent enough to use
are aware of the 2.6 interface, and will use those rather than the
/proc interface.

> Is there an alternative for this information being proposed?

sysfs.

Dave