Re: [RFC] ext3 documentation (lack of)

From: Andreas Dilger
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 15:42:19 EST

On Aug 18, 2004 14:59 +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> ACL's does not require use of the user_xattr mount option - I have tested
> that acl's work on ext3 with only the "acl" option. I guess user_xattr is
> turned on automatically as needed - you can use the option if you want
> posix extended attributes without acls.

Actually, user_xattr is entirely unrelated to acls. The user_xattr option
is used to enable arbitrary EAs that can be stored by the owner of the file
with setfattr and read with getfattr (along with the syscalls for same).
The acl support uses "in kernel" EAs that the user cannot modify.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
http://members.shaw.ca/adilger/ http://members.shaw.ca/golinux/