[2.6] busybox EFAULT on sparc64

From: Joshua Kwan
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 18:57:51 EST

Here's an example of a strange phenomenon seen by me and more recently
Jeff Bailey...

I'm not sure exactly what's happening here. Summary: passing static
memory to mount(2) returns Bad address, and starting klogd hangs on a
fork(2) call. A mount call will succeed if the memory is copied first
onto the heap. This is 2.6.8 without any SPARC-specific patches, built
for sparc64.

You can check this out at (misnomer)
http://people.debian.org/~joshk/2.4.27/kernel-image-2.6.8-sparc/kernel-image-2.6.8-1-sparc64_2.4.27-1_sparc.deb
for yourself.

I'm inclined to believe that the two bugs are related; these both happen
with busybox-cvs and the exact same programs work with 2.4. Bastian
Blank suggests that it is the compat wrapper for sys_mount that is not
clean.

Could I get any idea of what is going on here? I'm CC:ing lkml because
this may be a general 2.6 bug that neither Jeff or I have encountered.

--
Joshua Kwan