Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Paul Rolland
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 11:06:37 EST

Hello,

> FWIW, I had to use smake, latest version from his site, in order to
> compile 2.01a37 just yesterday. The error messages from make (very
> carefully programmed into the Makefile) indicated that the lost
> headers it couldn't find were a bug in make-3.80, and that his make
> suffered from no such errors. It didn't.
>
> Since the gnu make has only had, what, 2, maybe 3 revisions in almost
> a decade, maybe, just maybe, there is a grain of truth to Jorg's
> objections and often childish squawking, at least over the gnu make
> which he has mentioned, among others.

I did compile the cdrecord 2.01a37 on my machine no later than
yesterday.
I was running my 2.6.8.1 kernel, and make says :
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i386-redhat-linux-gnu
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@xxxxxxx>.

Build process was really fine, no error was reported, and I don't have
any smake stuff on my machine :
17 [17:58] rol@donald:~/install/cdrtools-2.01a37> smake
smake: Command not found.

> [root@coyote cdrecord]# cdrecord --version
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a37 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schilling
> cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-rc4
> cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
> cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
> Solaris.
>
> However Jorg, since I built from your tarball, and used smake to do
> it, why is it now proclaiming to be a "Clone".

Seems to be only related to the -clone option if you look at the code,
and it indicates the feature has been compile :
#ifdef CLONE_WRITE
error("\t-clone Write disk in clone write mode.\n");
#endif

Regards,
Paul

Paul Rolland, rol(at)as2917.net
ex-AS2917 Network administrator and Peering Coordinator

--

Please no HTML, I'm not a browser - Pas d'HTML, je ne suis pas un navigateur

"Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it"