Re: new tool: blktool

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 13:14:39 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
>* I don't mind HDIO_DRIVE_TASK nearly as much as HDIO_DRIVE_CMD,
>* since the command protocol is available.

That's not HDIO_DRIVE_TASKFILE, by the way.. a different beast there.

HDIO_DRIVE_TASK is just a slightly different form of HDIO_DRIVE_CMD
for non-data commands (specifically, some SMART commands),
with a more complete register set being exchanged.

Oops, indeed I meant HDIO_DRIVE_TASKFILE.

Anyway, once the infrastructure for the ATA Pass-thru CDB is implemented in libata, it is trivial to implement any of these three HDIO_DRIVE_xxx ioctls, using the ioctl data to build a scsi command internally. A bit strange at first glance, but it maximizes the leverage of existing kernel infrastructure to send commands, time them out, etc.

Jeff