Re: DTrace-like analysis possible with future Linux kernels?

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 18:13:05 EST

Miles Lane wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/08/dtrace_user_take/:

"Sun sees DTrace as a big advantage for Solaris over other versions of Unix and Linux."

We've been pushing for the inclusion of the Linux Trace Toolkit in the kernel
for the past 5 years. As of late, it seems that the pending argument against
its inclusion is: How is this useful to end users? In answer to that, I had
already posted the same pointer as above:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108938594031379&w=2

Since then, I've had the chance to discuss this matter at the Kernel Summit,
and again I was told that this was a sales problem (i.e. it must be
demonstrated that this is actually useful to users.) So, as the developers
of the Linux Trace Toolkit, it would help us a lot if you could explain to
this list why the sort of functionality provided by DTrace is something you
would personally find useful.

Thanks,

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits