Re: PF_MEMALLOC in 2.6

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 03:12:58 EST

Oliver Neukum wrote:
Am Freitag, 20. August 2004 04:37 schrieb Nick Piggin:

So if this thing allocates memory on behalf of a read request, then
it is basically a bug. In practice you could probably get away with
servicing all writes with PF_MEMALLOC, however that could still lead
to situations where it consumes all your low memory on behalf of
highmem IO (though perhaps this won't deadlock if that memory is
going to be released as a matter of course?)

Another thing, having it always use PF_MEMALLOC means it can easily
wipe out the GFP_ATOMIC reserve.

So I'd say try to find a way to only use PF_MEMALLOC on behalf of
a PF_MEMALLOC thread or use a mempool or something.

Then the SCSI layer should pass down the flag.

It would be ideal from the memory allocator's point of view to do it
on a per-request basis like that.

When the rubber hits the road, I think it is probably going to be very
troublesome to do it right that way. For example, what happens when
your usb-thingy-thread blocks on a memory allocation while handling a
read request, then the system gets low on memory and someone tries to
free some by submitting a write request to the USB device?

I don't know anything about how the usb thread works so I'm not sure.

The mempool model seems to work well for requests in the block layer -
making a completely uneducated guess I'd say that could be a good
option to investigate.