Re: CD/DVD record

From: Nigel Rantor
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 03:59:24 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:
Hmm...not sure about that. Not if you do want device specific fixes in there too...

The question then becomes - how many percent of devices in use need fixes to work?
A simple program with _no_ fixes, that works with correct devices only might not be that hard.
After it becomes popular people simply take care to buy working burners. The old broken
tend to get upgraded after a while, or they can be used with the old cdrecord.
[...]

Good point. Agreed.

I'll admit to having some time on my hands but acquiring equipment to test with would be a stumbling block for me.

Take one thing at a time. If you want to try this, start writing a program that works well
with your particular burner. Chances are it'll work with many others too. And then you
get patches from people who have other equipment. You won't need to have everything
yourself.

Another good point. Agreed.

It would be nice if everyone could just put their egos aside and provide a united front wrt FOSS cd/dvd recording.

:-) This goes for all open source. I don't think it'll happen though. :-/

Hat trick on the Good Point(tm) front. Agreed!

Well then I may go and look into cd recording then...hmm...

Cheers,

Nige