Consistent complete lock up with 2.6.8.1-mm2 and vuescan, no serial console output

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 06:48:15 EST

Hi Andrew, hi Ed, hi list!

The problem persisted with 2.6.8.1-mm2, but this time a collected the
syslog via a usb serial console on my Palm T|C.

The funny thing is, only the normal syslog shows up, but there is no
error spewed out when X freezes.

Is there any chance to get *more* information via the serial console
(without usb)? If yes, I will search and hopefully can set up an old
TRGpro for receiving this stuff via teh serial port.

Anyway it would be nice to hear at least a comment from one of you on
how to proceed with this. Since it is 100% repeatable here, it would be
nice if it can be fixed. It suprises me that the whole kernel just
completely freezes, while only disk io and cpu is used, there is no
usage of usb stuff (besides the usb serial console, but also wihtout
it), vuescan is scanning from raw files, so not contacting any `outside'
world besides the hard drives.

Best wishes

Norbert