Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8.1-P5

From: Linh Dang
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 19:52:29 EST

K. R. Foley <kr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> i've uploaded the -P5 patch:
>>
>> http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.8.1-P5
>>

> Here is a latency trace generated by the NFS compile in the
> stress-kernel. It is ~1.7 ms which doesn't really surprise me for
> the NFS compile. I am going to take the NFS compile out of the test
> now and see what else falls out.
>
> If it would be useful for me to provide additional information with
> this, please let me know.
>
> http://www.cybsft.com/testresults/2.6.8.1-P5/latency_trace1.txt

You don't need to do a NFS compilation to trigger it. just to a "find"
on a huge NFS-mounted tree and you will see it.

Another candidate for cond_resched() is the loop in nfs_readdir(). It
seems safe to do so be cause it calls readdir_search_pagecache() which
would call schedule().

Regards
--
Linh Dang