Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: David Greaves
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 07:20:53 EST

Xavier Bestel wrote:

Le sam 21/08/2004 à 08:58, David Greaves a écrit :

Can someone explain why it isn't anyone with _write_ access to the device?
Surely it's better to drop a user into a group or setgid a program?

If I have write access to a device then I can wipe it's media anyway.
Is there something I'm missing?

If you have write access to a single partition only, you could always
screw the entire disk (and with firmware upload, it's really totally
screwed).

OK - I was thinking of the CD problem.

So only allow these operations on the whole disk device?

If you wanted to grant them this capability on a partition then my understanding is that through the power of these operations you've essentially given them the ability to overwrite to the whole device anway - so just give them write permission to the whole device. MNaybe through setgid code though.

If you need some operations to act on the partitions then you'd have to differentiate between users writing to a partition and users operating on the partition. Difficult without better acls - so then you have to say "operations on the whole disk device granted through write permission; operations on the partition devices forbidden"

The less reasons to make users use or suid root, the better.

David