RE: Entirely ignoring TCP and UDP checksum in kernel level

From: Josan Kadett
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 16:06:59 EST

Indeed I already had done that UDP and TCP patch before I posted this
thread. I think that is still not the way... I just tested the system using
the generic patch and the results are;

- I send a packet with wrong checksum to a closed UDP port, the kernel
replies it (It would seem that UDP checksum is gone but no)
- I send a packet with wrong checksum to a closed TCP port, the kernel drops
it (TCP will not budge)
- I send a packet with wrong checksum to an open UDP port, the kernel drops
it. (UDP checksum is still in effect somehow)
- I send an snmpget request to my client, intercept the packet, re-send it
to the linux machine which is pathced, snmpget gets the correct data
- I send an snmpget request to my client, intercept the packet, put arbitary
(wrong) checksum in it, re-send it to the linux machine which is patched,
snmpget does not even see the data coming in. (Still dropped by kernel)

Perhaps I should start another thread with another subject instead of
blindly trying to get rid of checksum?