Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8.1-P7

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 19:07:35 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 10:05, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
>>i've uploaded the -P7 patch:
>>
>> http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.8.1-P7
>>
>>Changes since -P6:
>>
>>- fixed the XFree86/X.org context-switch latency. (let me know if you
>> see any weirdness like X not starting up while it did before.)
>>
>>- halved the pagevec size, to reduce the radix gang-lookup costs.
>>

> Great, this is a significant improvement. Most of the worst case
> latencies (~150 usec) seem related to the TCP stack now, and a minor one
> (51 usec) in the ext3 journaling:
>
> http://krustophenia.net/testresults.php?dataset=2.6.8.1-P7
>
> Lee

I just posted a similar trace of ~4141 usec from P6 here:

http://www.cybsft.com/testresults/2.6.8.1-P6/latency-trace1.txt

This was part of a run from yesterday evening. After just rebooting, I
too am seeing several of these. With the system not being hammered by
the stress tests though, the max is only up to ~103 usec. I will be
updating to P7 shortly.

kr