Re: 2.6.8.1-mm3

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 00:02:47 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Thomas Davis <tadavis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

3) Interactivity performance when compiling a kernel (make rpm) sucks. I have a Dell Poweredge 400SC, with a Hyper threaded P4/1GB of ram, ATI Radeon 9600 based video. Load average jumps to the 4's, and stays there - while each cpu in the hyper thread shows about 50% idle time. Mouse pointer jumps all over the place, mouse clicks are lost, menus are slow to drop down, etc..

Ingo found a ghastly performance problem with X, but that'll be present in
2.6.8.1 as well.

The other thing is I may have botched moving my scheduler on top of smtnice.
I hadn't tested that too well (I have an HT system, but it doesn't run X).

If you get time, could you try turning off CONFIG_SCHED_SMT - if that still
doesn't help, try turning off hyperthreading completely. Thanks.