Re: Obvious one-liner - Use 3DNOW on MK8

From: James M.
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 00:53:08 EST

Then perhaps the code should be removed or at least explain in the help why it can't be selected...do you have a preference?

Does having this disabled confuse apps like Mplayer who detect the cpu and expect it to be there? I'm guessing the kernel handles it correctly but I'm just curious.

Andi Kleen wrote:
"James M." writes:

Title says it...my Athlon 64 definitely uses 3DNOW. Patch changes
arch/i386/Kconfig and has a 3 line fudge factor(I created it a few
kernels back). Might want to check other arches for the same bug.

It it's not a bug, it is a feature. The K8 is better off not using the 3dnow memcpy, which is the only feature this CONFIG controls.

Please don't apply.

-Andi