Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 12:19:42 EST

Joerg Schilling <schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Patrick McFarland <diablod3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:14:08 +0200, Joerg Schilling
> > <schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Eveybody makes mistakes. Not being able to admid that and persisting to
> > > continue to go in a wrong direction is the real problem.
> >
> > Yes, everyone does. Yours was flaming kernel developers over the lkml
> > about bugs in your own program; yet, you do not admit to this, and
> > continue to piss everyone off.
>
> You seem to be unable to distinct between cause and effect.

Exactly right.

> Some pleople at Linux kernel ML did start to flame me while I was
> trying to do my best to give technical based explanations.
>
> As it has been proven that threre _are_ reasonable people in LKML, it would
> help LKML to regain credibility if they could try to do some self cleaning
> and find a way to calm down the non-serious people.

Bann you from the list would go a long way, true; but I oppose such
measures as a matter of principle. Better try to convince the people
out-of-line to do their own soul searching. Hasn't worked so far, sadly.

> You also seem to be unable to judge where bugs are located while looking at
> problems.
>
> It seems that we just agreed with the reasonable members of LKML
> that there was and still is a security related bug in Linux.
> The "fix" that used in hope to remove the security problems did just
> create new problems instead of removing old ones.
>
> If you have nothing useful to say, please stay quiet.

There was a security problem, I think all agree on that. LKML says any
security problem has to be fixed ASAP, especially if it is well known and
easy to exploit. You say backward compatibility is more important. The
people in charge of the kernel are the ones who decide what to do, in this
case they overwhelmingly decided against you. Though luck.

[Yes, I fully expect you to tell me this is not useful. Perhaps it isn't.
But continuing to pour gas on the flames (as you are so fond doing)
doesn't help either.]