Re: IEEE-1588

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 03:54:53 EST

On Monday 23 August 2004 03:51, Esben Nielsen wrote:
>Does anyone know about that standard for time syncronization? Is
> there any work on Linux-support?
>
>Esben

Sure. There is ntpdate, intended for gross corrections at boot time,
and ntp, which finetunes things if you need microsecond accuracy all
day long. I don't, so I just run ntpdate at boot time and 4x a day
with cron against 4 servers chosen at random from a list of 33, using
a script and a list of servers someone posted years ago now.

Both are installed in a normal full install, but not this script. ntp
as I understand it needs configured before its used, but it can be
run from /etc/init.d by turning it on with chkconfig once its
configured.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)