Re: Oops during mkfs, SMP Opteron, 2.6.8.1 / -mm4

From: Christopher Swingley
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 18:08:59 EST

Hello again,

* Christopher Swingley <cswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-Aug-23 10:12 AKDT]:
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000000000200e6f RIP:
> <ffffffff80157081>{kmem_getpages+129}
> PML4 1fdcd9067 PGD 1fe351067 PMD 0
> Oops: 0000 [1] SMP
> CPU 1
> Modules linked in: 8139too mii crc32 tg3
> Pid: 1719, comm: mkfs.ext3 Not tainted 2.6.8.1

I know it's bad form to reply to one's own posting, but I suspect that
more information is probably useful here.

Since posting this, I've tried a single processor version of the 2.6.8.1
kernel (even though it's a dual Opteron) and I didn't get the oops.
I've also tried an SMP kernel without CONFIG_K8_NUMA, and the oops also
disappears.

So the issue appears to be related to the K8_NUMA stuff, and I'll
continue on with a non-NUMA SMP 2.6.8.1 and see if the system stays up
and running.

Thanks,

Chris
--