Re: [RFC] Bus Resource Management

From: Len Brown
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 19:48:05 EST

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 09:35, Adam Belay wrote:

> 2.) Sysfs user interface
> - userspace applications can determine resource usage and
> dependencies.
> - userspace applications can disable and enable devices
> - userspace applications can assign resources to a device
> - userspace applications can pause the operation of a device, and
> rebalance
> its resources

I agree that run-time hotplug policy and re-balancing would all be very
snappy from user-space - users should be in charge when setting policy.
Heck, humans may even be needed to make some decisions regarding
resource conflicts...

But I'm wondering where the proper line is between that and the resource
management that we have to do on boot before user-space exists.

cheers,
-Len