Re: 2.6.8.1-mm4

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 01:24:17 EST

wli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 01:34:02AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.8.1/2.6.8.1-mm4/
> > - Added the kexec code. Again. This was in -mm a year or so ago but didn't
> > make it.
> > - This kernel has an x86 patch which alters the copy_*_user() functions so
> > they will return -EFAULT on a fault rather than the number of bytes which
> > remain to be copied. This is a bit of an experiment, because this seems to
> > be the preferred API for those functions. It's a see-what-breaks thing.
> > And things will break. If weird behaviour is observed, please revert
> > usercopy-return-EFAULT.patch and send a report.
>
> task_vsize() doesn't need mm->mmap_sem for the CONFIG_MMU case;

I'd prefer it if you (and everyone else) could give a meaningful
English-language Subject: to patches, please.

A well-chosen patch Subject: becomes a sort of globally-unique key by which
the patch is tracked - I munge it into a patch filename and it propagates
all the way into bitkeeper. It can be used for searching email folders,
googling, inter-developer discussion, etc, etc.

Thanks.