Re: page allocation failure & sk98lin

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 02:53:11 EST

Serban Simu wrote:

Hello all,

I found a few references to similar problems in the list but no indications of whether this has been fixed or can be avoided.

I'm using 2.6.8.1 and the patch: sk98lin_v7.04_2.6.8_patch. This happens when receiving data fast on the GigE card (about 600Mbps) and writing on disk. It seems to happen after writing 1 GB to disk (1024 MB) but I can't correlate that very reliably.

I would appreciate any information pointing me to a fix or explanation.

Thank you!

-Serban

swapper: page allocation failure. order:0, mode:0x20

The messages should be basically harmless and can't be completely avoided.

That said, -mm kernels have patches to fix up numerous problems with the page
allocator which have a good chance of fixing your problems.