Unpluging PC Card while apm -s'd

From: Brannon Klopfer
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 16:51:00 EST

Linux littleblue 2.6.8.1 #81 Wed Aug 18 17:13:39 PDT 2004 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Gnu C 3.3.4
Gnu make 3.80
binutils 2.15.90.0.3
util-linux 2.12a
mount 2.12a
module-init-tools 3.0
e2fsprogs 1.35
jfsutils 1.1.6
xfsprogs 2.6.13
pcmcia-cs 3.2.7
quota-tools 3.12.
PPP 2.4.2
nfs-utils 1.0.6
Linux C Library 2.3.2
Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.3.2
Linux C++ Library 5.0.6
Procps 3.2.1
Net-tools 1.60
Kbd 1.12
Sh-utils 5.2.1
Modules Loaded snd_cs4236 snd_opl3_lib snd_hwdep snd_cs4236_lib snd_mpu401_uart snd_rawmidi snd_cs4231_lib nfsd exportfs intel_agp uhci_hcd serial_cs 3c574_cs ds yenta_socket pcmcia_core agpgart

Hello,
I have a Realtek-based 32-bit PC card (uses 8139too). It works flawlessly under normal circumstances - very fast, can unplug, etc. while the machine is hot. However, if I unplug when the machine is suspended (apm -s), upon resume, the machine locks up - capslock works, but that's about it. Since this card has a built-in connector (i.e., it's bigger than a normal PCMCIA card), I can see wanting to put it to sleep, then remembering that I ought to take out the card (which I _can_ do, so long as I plug it back in before it wakes up). A bit annoying. Oh, I have tried, before suspending, modprobe -r'ing the proper module (8139too), same thing (grrr...).

For what it's worth, this card is _not_ recognized at all by cardmgr - I plug it in, and then it shows up via "lspci". "cat /var/lib/pcmcia/stab" returns both slots as empty. I'll send my kernel config if you want. I assume I don't need any PCI hotplug support in the kernel, as everything works fine unless I suspend, remove, wake up (eve though the PCMCIA card shows up as a PCI device). My PCMCIA slots work fine, as I have another "true" PCMCIA card.

I'm sure this must be a little confusing to the poor kernel - going to sleep and awaking only to find your NIC is missing. Traumatic.

-Brannon Klopfer