nforce2 / i8x0 sound breakage -> sys lockup

From: chakkerz_dev
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 20:09:50 EST

Hi, just wanted to note that the sound in 2.6.7 and 2.6.8.1 is dead:

after compiling and installing etc the new kernels first thing i was seeing was
occasional lockups in 2.6.7 and was blaming nvidia's taint. 2.6.8.1 saw far more
lockups, however after investigating the issue of the nvidia drivers i found it wasn't the
gfx system that was causing it, it was sound.

playing with mpg123 i got complaints of libao being broken, so i upgraded that, the i
got pcm_hw something or other I/O errors.

it's a GA 7N400 Pro 2 Mobo, with nforce2 chipset though i believe it uses a realtech
sound chip (not sure of the type). I found a couple of references to this being stuffed,
and HP specific fixes (which don't help :) )

Distro is Slack 10.0

Any thoughts on a solution? please CC chakkerz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / reply all on this,
so i get the message :)

thanks