Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 21:34:57 EST

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 21:49, Tom Vier wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 11:08:41PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >are you translating virt->phys?
>>
>> No, this is straight out of the memburn output (after I'd fixed
>> the
>
>that's weird that you're finding that pattern in virtual addresses.
> i wouldn't expect that. even if you're booting to single user,
> certain variables might change during boot and cause different
> physical pages to be mapped. maybe single user is more
> deterministic than i think, though.

Well, FWIW, and not knowing a hell of a lot about it, I would assume
(there's *that* word again) that even the virtual addresses would be
long word aligned with reality even if otherwise totally bogus. I
mean you'd really have to go out of your way to make it otherwise on
x86 hardware wouldn't you?

ATM I'm running on one stick, with memburn hacking away at 128 megs
worth of it, Passed round 5683, elapsed 23530.67 at the moment. And
about 100 megs into swap, darnit. And it isn't running anything else
unusual, x/kde/kmail/mozilla & an occasional game of sol.

If it runs till tommorrow morning, I'll assume this stick is good, and
put the other one in the same socket for a similar test. If it
passes, then I try the other socket one stick at a time, but first I
have to get my finger healed up, I somehow drew a bit of blood on the
end of my little finger using it to lever open the socket clips the
last time. A nasty little paper cut type slice I never felt happen
till I saw the blood.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)