Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 01:12:22 EST

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:35:16AM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Bummer. This is rubbish. And I am sure that this is not the intention of
> Linus comments. IF the module would be NON functional without the closed
> plugin, then yes, rip it out. But it is useable, and this hook *can* be
> used for closed modules, but also for other modules.

But it isn't, that's the point.

> It really looks like personal stuff going on here, not really objective
> discussion on this point.

Nothing personal here. The GPL code has a exported symbol explicitly to
be able to load a closed source decoder module. Because of that, I've
deleted that symbol (and the surrounding logic, as it's no longer
needed.) One could also argue that no in-kernel code needs that symbol
exported, so it should be removed for that reason alone.

That's all I've done. The in-kernel module still works the same as it
always did if you never used the closed source decoder.

thanks,

greg k-h