Re: CD/DVD record

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 06:55:42 EST

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:07:09 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hat trick on the Good Point(tm) front. Agreed!
> >
> > Well then I may go and look into cd recording then...hmm...
>
> I hate to say it, but why reinvent the wheel? I'm sure that if Jorg
> doesn't support new technology there will be a project, either on
> sourceforge or freestanding, to create OpenCDburn or some such. It would
> be very hard to find someone as technically good as Jorg in this area,
> [...]

Actually this is only FUD spread by Joerg. He is definitely not the only man on
this planet knowing how to program CD/DVD burning equipment.

Generally cdrecord has one big deficiency, which obviously was intended:
it does not allow medium skilled programmers from drive _vendors_ to add
support for their latest hardware easily. Everyone has to beg Joerg, which
obviously increased his ego dramatically over the years.
It would be a lot better to start off a new project where vendors (or anybody
with skill and will) can contribute more easily, i.e. something that is truely
_open_.

Regards,
Stephan