Re: [RFC&PATCH 1/2] PCI Error Recovery (readX_check)

From: Grant Grundler
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 10:54:57 EST

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 12:20:45AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Because if you don't lock the bridge (or whatever the entity is that keeps
> track of errors), the whole exercise is kind of pointless. If two drivers
> try to do error checking at the same time, and will potentially clear the
> errors of each other, causing the errors to get lost, the whole recovery
> infrastructure is clearly worthless.

Do we only need to determine there was an error in the IO hierarchy
or do we also need to know which device/driver caused the error?

If the latter I agree with linus. If the former, then the error recovery
can support asyncronous errors (like the bad DMA address case) and tell
all affected (thanks willy) drivers.

grant