Re: Linux 2.6.9-rc1

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 15:48:51 EST

Dâniel Fraga wrote:
In article <412BD946.1080908@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Daniel Andersen <anddan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

As Linus initially said, there is the possibility of releasing a bug-fix patch 2.6.8.2 *after* 2.6.9 has been released. This can make things very

Why does this could happen? Do you agree with me that when 2.6.9 is
released, all future versions should be based on 2.6.9? Or it's a BK
issue I don't know?

confusing when patch-2.6.9 is against 2.6.8.1 and not 2.6.8.2 (or 2.6.8). So if we use a rule of always patching against the first x.y.Z release (and not the last x.y.z.W by the time the new x.y.Z is released) we can assure consistence in the patch management.

Ok, I understand the problem. But isn't it possible to avoid
releasing some 2.6.8.x version after 2.6.9? I mean, I'm not
understanding why this could happen.

Ps: sorry if this question is silly, but I didn't get the point why
2.6.8.2 could be released after 2.6.9.

Say an evil bug is discovered in 2.6.8.1 about the time people find out that cdrecord and vmware don't run on 2.6.9 and Oracle causes a massive memory leak. Since the developers seem to totally disregard pre-release testing with any 3rd party or closed source software, this isn't totally out of the question.

So out comes 2.6.8.2 to protect the honor and virtue of all the users who run 3rd party software for some silly reason like needing it to make a living.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)