From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 20:05:08 EST

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > One way to solve it is to just realize that a final slash at the end
> > implies pretty strongly that you want to treat it as a directory. So what
> > you do is:
>
> Stupid question: who will use it? And why?

I've got a stupid question too. How do you back up these
things ?

If your backup program reads them as a file and restores
them as a file, you might lose your directory-inside-the-file
magic.

If your backup program dives into the file despite stat()
saying it's a file and you restore your backup, how are the
"file is a file" semantics preserved ?

Obviously this is something that needs to be sorted out at
the VFS layer. A filesystem specific backup and restore
program isn't desirable, if only because then there'd be
no way for Hans's users to switch to reiser5 in 2010 ;)